Before visiting China, you may need to update your vaccinations for preventable diseases.  So that your vaccines have time to take effect and so that you can be sure to all the shots necessary, I recommend that you visit your doctor, the Travel Clinic at MeritCare, or visit the Fargo Cass County Public Health.

The Center for Disease Control at provides recommendations.


  1. The CDC suggests that you make sure you are up-to-date with routine shots such as the measles/mumps/rubella (MMR) vaccine, diphtheria/pertussis/tetanus (DPT) vaccine, and the poliovirus vaccine.
  2.  The CDC recommends all unvaccinated people traveling to or working in countries with an intermediate or high level of hepatitis A virus infection where exposure might occur through food or water receive the Hepatitis A or immune globulin.  MeritCare agrees and both the CDC and MeritCare remind us that cases of travel-related hepatitis A can also occur in travelers to developing countries with "standard" tourist itineraries, accommodations, and food consumption behaviors.
  3. The CDC recommends for all unvaccinated persons traveling to or working in countries with intermediate to high levels of endemic HBV transmission, especially those who might be exposed to blood or body fluids, have sexual contact with the local population, or be exposed through medical treatment receive the Hepatitis B vaccine.  MeritCare agrees and recommends Hep B.

  4. The CDC recommends the Typhoid vaccine for all unvaccinated people traveling to or working in East Asia, especially if visiting smaller cities, villages, or rural areas and staying with friends or relatives where exposure might occur through food or water.  MeritCare informed me that, as the CDC stated, this is for people working in East Asia.  They do NOT believe that it is necessary to receive this vaccine.

  5. The CDC recommends Rabies shots for travelers spending a lot of time outdoors, especially in rural areas, involved in activities such as bicycling, camping, or hiking.  We will not be in this situation.

  6. The CDC recommends Japanese encephalitis vaccines if you plan to visit rural farming areas.  We will not be visiting rural farming areas.

  7. The CDC recommends Malaria drugs if you are in a high risk area in the summer months.  We will be very early in the season and will not be in high risk areas so this is not required.

 Based on the information that I have collected, I recommend MMR, DPT, Hep A, and Hep B  (Greg's Note)